Thursday, June 11, 2015

Ortho Update!

So, I kind of tweeted about it yesterday and I mentioned it on DailyMile today.. I had another ortho visit yesterday and I had more scans done.  Well... the good news is that everything looks completely normal!  As in, healed up... as in, nothing appears to be wrong with me!

Look, Ma - I gots strong bones!

I still have an Endocrinology appointment coming up in July to make sure I have nothing going on in that department.  The doc said he was really pleased and happy with the rate of my healing progress.  He told me when I start running (I didn't fess up to having already ran twice before seeing him) again to take it slow and steady and carefully.... so I am thrilled to not be in the "don't you ever run again" category!  

Of course I will take things day by day and as I can tolerate it.  I've ran three times so far - last Saturday, Tuesday and again today.  I'm doing run/walk intervals and will do what I did the last time and gradually increase my run time as I can.  I'll let my body dictate the pace too.  I'll more than likely (ok, just let me say definitely) go back on the heart rate training full time but I'll adjust my zones a bit.  I just can't get to it until after I'm done with this lifting training plan I'm doing.  This plan ends on Monday of next week, and then I'll be taking time to phase more running in.  I still look at my heart rate while I'm run/walking now and I just have to laugh.  I'm all jacked up on pre-workout and my heart rate is sky high the whole time I'm at the gym.  But, that's kind of the point.  It'll be interesting to see what happens after I go off of it next week and settle into a new routine.

Given this news and how I'm feeling thus far I've been doing a lot of "What If" scenarios in my head, in spreadsheets, and just written down.  I've got less than 20 weeks now before the starting line of the Marine Corps Marathon.  Now, as I said above I'm just going with how my body handles things, but I do want to be Mission Ready on October 25th.  One day at a time.  One mile at a time.  I'm sure I'll take you through all the wild things swirling through my head as things move ahead.

After a well earned rest day next Tuesday I'm hoping to get outdoors to run for the first time this summer.  That's the first goal - off the treadmill and into the world.  Heat, humidity, rain, nature - I'm coming for you!

5 comments:

  1. This is great news Nichole!! I'm so happy for you, and hope you can stay healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you!!!! Now here is to hoping you stay healthy. Like you said one day, one mile at a time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. At this point slow and steady wins the race for me!

      Delete
  3. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!! This is fantastic news - I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete