Monday, June 1, 2015

Weekly Review - 5/25-5/31/2015

Holy crap it's June.  How the hell?  This is the kids last week at school, we're scrambling to get in last minute summer camp paperwork, getting things together and going to end of year parties, etc, and on top of it all Victoria broke her hand this week!  In gym class of all things!  And she finished out the school day with it before getting it checked out at Children's afterward... geez it's almost like she's the child of someone who would feel a bone give out during a 10 mile race and just keep going to finish it... ahem..

Anyway, let's get to the recap.  I'd love to promise more posts but I just can't.  I've become the queen of starting a post and then not getting around to finishing it.  I have 2 in draft mode - 1 on my current supplements (aka how I'm making my innards their own chem lab for fun) and 1 that's a whole bunch of throwback pics and stuff.  If I get the time today I'd love to finish the throwback one for tomorrow.

This week in workouts went great.  Today marks the halfway point in my little personal experiment.  I've lost a little more body fat, my lifts are heavier than ever, and I'm really enjoying tabata exercise.  I still have no love for the elliptical though.  Oh well.

Monday:  Chest day.  I thought that since it was Memorial Day that the gym may be pretty clear.  Uh, no.  It was the most packed I'd ever seen it at 6 AM!  I guess everyone was getting it out of the way before going to the BBQ?  I don't know but one pet peeve of mine, especially when I'm doing a routine that requires specific rest times and heart rate manipulation is waiting for machines/weights.  I had to do a lot of that this week and it really ticked me off.  I have no other time to get my workout in, though, or else I'd just come earlier or later.  So I've been doing what I can.  The overall workout went well, though.  I finally got the hang of the Tate Press (it looks simple, but getting the correct muscles to activate for it takes some concentration on my part).  My tabata for the day was high knees and shuttle run - 8 rounds of each.  Shuttle runs do not hurt me, btw.  They feel great (and make people look at me weird, but whatever).  Afterward I did an inline walk on the treadmill for 1.25 miles.

Tuesday: Back.  I didn't have to wait for weights today, which was nice.  I am very pleased with my progress in the exercises in this group.  I've really been able to pile on the weight and I love it.  My deadlift form has gotten much better too.  Like most people, keeping spinal alignment is the biggest challenge for me and getting the form right is a winning moment in itself.  Today's tabata was 8 rounds each of kettlebell swings and high knees.  Then I did 2.5 miles on the Crossramp doing another interval challenge I found on Pinterest.

Wednesday: Arms and Core.  I started out with my core tabata - 8 rounds each of stability ball crunches, planks, and medicine ball twists.  Then I worked my way through my arm sets.. this was a frustrating day at the gym because of 2 guys at this gym specifically.. They think they "own" most of the equipment so my biggest issue end up being getting to the things that I need like the damn rope attachment for the cable machine. But, I got it done and then got in over 14 miles on the bike.

Thursday: Legs!  This workout really is a killer.  That's what I love about it.  I easily burn 700 calories during this because I really put it all out there (and admittedly, the preworkout helps).  I'm so happy about my progress on the leg press.  This used to be such a bad area for me and it's totally turned around.  Now, I'm not like James Harrison or my husband who can press 1200 lbs or anything crazy like that, but I'm at over 3x the weight from where I started a couple years ago.  Progress is progress!  Tabata exercise for the day was kettlebell swings and side to side shuffles.  Then I did 30 more tortuous minutes on the elliptical.  Just like last week I had totally dead legs by this time... it was honestly work just to go this slow.  But 2.16 more miles... miles are miles are miles.

Friday:  Shoulders.  Shoulder day is fun.  This is the one day that I don't need any machines or cables - I just need the dumbbells.  I'm always amused by the strength in various parts of my shoulder.  I can lift really heavy on shrugs and rows, moderately on presses, but one front raises and lateral raises I'm much weaker.  Tabata today: box shuffle and shuttle run (which I felt comfortable going faster and harder on).  Then I hopped on the treadmill for some incline intervals and got in 2.02 miles in 30 minutes.  That's a bit faster than I've walked lately and I was really happy with that.

Saturday:  Arms and Core.  Repeat of Wednesday.  This day sucked.  There were a moderate amount of people in the gym, no biggie, but there was this one guy... He had the whole gym set up in little stations for himself using equipment from all over.  He even had the accessory room (where you can do ab work with the ball, BOSU, jump rope, foam roll, yoga etc.  It's were I do my shuttle runs and other tabatas) totally filled with stuff.  He was doing some circuit thing where he'd go from station to station and to put a freaking cherry on top he'd FOAM ROLL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR after every lift.  Now this gym isn't very big - which is why it's nice they have the off room where you can do floor work based exercise.  Foam rolling in front of cable machines or the free weights is ridiculous!  Trying to work around this guy and actually get to the things I needed was crazy.  I had to sub in other workouts and other pieces of equipment just to work the same muscle group because I got sick of waiting around for him and his silly ass routine.  I was so pissed off during this.  I feel like I "kinda" got my workout in.  I'm glad I didn't wait around for him to be done because he was still there fucking around when I was done with my cardio.  Of course being so revved up fueled my fire into putting in a 5K in 30 minutes on the Crossramp.  So there. lol

Sunday: Rest!  Honestly!  Unless you count going grocery shopping exercise.  haha.

It was a decent week, gym frustrations and all. 25.14 miles on the legs, so I'm not complaining about that at all. In total, I worked out over 7 hours last week, which is a good place for me to be I think, considering at my running peak I was around 9 hours. I've still been doing the unguided yoga thing where I may do some poses before bed or in the gym after my workout if I have time, but no structured workouts or videos.  My nutrition has been on point and I'm thrilled about that.  People are noticing changes in me and that's always good too.  I'm just trying to have some fun and keep myself healthy.  I'm also trying not to keep watching my little countdown I have going for when I'm going to attempt to run again.  ;)

I hope you all had a great week and are ready to kick some butt here in June!

The storms lately around here have been wild, but they produce awesome rainbows like this one!

8 comments:

  1. Great rainbow picture! Also great week as well. I'll have to come to you for some cross training advice soon.. I need to start getting stronger for some upcoming races! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen! Ask away whenever you need anything!

      Delete
  2. You are killing it at the gym. Pretty soon you are just going to be all muscle. Keep it up!!! Any time table on when you will be able to start running more to get ready for MCM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm planning on a short tester run/walk either at the end of this week or beginning of next. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Awesome! You really impress me. No matter what type of exercise you do, you always give it your all. 7 hours working out & 25 miles is fantastic. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter broke her hand! Hope she doesn't have to be in a cast/sling for too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Jennifer! I don't know any other way to be. It drives me crazy to half ass anything. ha. We had Victoria at ortho yesterday and thankfully the doctor said given the placement and severity of the break she should only need 3 weeks healing time! She's happy she doesn't have to miss summer camp. Dodgeball is a dangerous sport! ;)

      Delete
  4. You have a really nice gym/lifting routine going. I am so much more random than that. I should be more regimented. Anyway, I also like the "unguided" yoga. I've done it so many times, I know all the poses. I just need to remember to do them and before bed would probably be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. :) I seem to sleep better if I even do a pose or two of yoga before bed. I think it is the calming and mind clearing effect it has on me.

      Delete