Thursday, July 23, 2015

Current Gym Workouts

Hi all!  How's it going in beautiful Western PA (or wherever you're from)?  I'm having a pretty chill day today.  I had a heck of a busy day yesterday - which included taking a pee test for a new job so thanks again for all those positive vibes you sent a while ago!  Today I'm hanging out with my boys, having a cup of coffee, and contemplating life.  I like to contemplate life and plan/dream/scheme of what to do next, where my goals should lie, how I could use my time on this rock better.

Well, aside from my daydreaming, I wanted to share with you all my current routines in the gym.  These are nothing fancy, you don't need to be an expert lifter to do this, but access to a gym is kind of nice for some things.  Although, there are alternatives to most any exercise that can be done at home with lighter dumbbells, kettlebells, stability balls, resistance bands - even bodyweight!   So if you ever have a question, just ask!

I'm currently lifting on a 3 day split, which if you've been following my training you know.  Monday is Shoulders/Arms/Core, Wednesday is Legs/Back, and Friday is Chest/Shoulders/Core.  Right now I'd say I'm lifting moderately, not very heavy.  On these plans I take 45-60 second rests between sets.  If you're lifting light, take shorter rests - around 30 seconds.  Always start with some kind of warmup.  On days that I run first (Monday and now Friday), well, that's enough of a warmup for me.  :P  On non running days, I get on the elliptical or bike or any cardio machine and just get my heart rate up for 5 minutes.

I'm going to link in videos/descriptions of the exercises in case there's something you're unfamiliar with.  Most will come from BodyBuilding.com which is an awesome resource.  You can see in the descriptions that there are often variations and/or alternative exercises given.  This has helped me out many times when I've found myself lacking the correct equipment or just simply not enjoying an exercise!

Shoulders/Arms/Core:
Standing Dumbbell Upright Row 3 sets of 10
Superset (a superset is when you do the next listed exercise immediately following the first and then take your rest.  Repeat for as many sets listed.):  
Standing Alternating Dumbbell Press
Front Raises 3 Supersets of 10 reps each exercise
Superset: Standing Dumbbell Triceps Extension
Barbell Curls 3 Supersets of 10 reps each exercise
Superset:  Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Row
Incline Dumbbell Press 3 Supersets of 12 reps each exercise  Trainer tip: doing this workout at home and no incline bench?  Use your stability ball!  Not only will you get the same general effect, you'll add in a core workout due to having to engage those muscles!!
Plank - standard forearm at least 1 minute, but definitely more if you can!
Side Plank same deal as the forearm plank - try for one minute per side, but do more if you can
V-Ups  30 reps, but what I like to do to make these a little more challenging is add a few seconds of holding at the top of each, so sometimes I just go for time - usually 1 minute.
Stability Ball Crunches  20 reps

You can repeat the core 4 exercises 2-3 times as desired!

Legs/Back:
After my 5 minute cardio warmup, I like to activate the lower body muscles a bit more by doing 1 or 2 sets of 20 generic bodyweight squats before getting into the main part of this workout.
Leg Press  3 sets of 10  When the leg press is occupied or I'm not feeling it, I substitute Goblet Squats for it.
Superset: Deadlift
Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise  3 supersets of 10 DL and 20 raises
Superset:  Stability Ball Leg Curl
Step Ups  3 supersets of 15 curls and 10 step ups on each leg
Superset:  One Arm Dumbbell Row
Dumbbell Pullover  (make sure to initiate this from your LATS) 3 supersets of 10 each
Seated Cable Row  3 sets of 10
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown  3 sets of 10
Face Pulls  3 sets of 10 (sometimes 4, because I really love these lol)

Chest/Shoulders/Core:
Superset: Dumbbell Bench Press  Yes, you can use a barbell however, I'm trying to correct a slight weakness on the left side and don't want to "cheat" it on the bar.
Seated Dumbbell Press  3 supersets of 8 - This superset I go heavier on, therefore less reps!
Superset:  Incline Dumbbell Flyes
Front Raises  3 supersets of 10 each
Superset:  Incline Dumbbell Press
Side Lateral Raise  3 supersets of 10 each
Hanging Leg Raise or Knee Raise on Bars depending on gym crowd  20 reps
Stability Ball Pull In  15-20 reps
Stability Ball Crunches  30 reps
Toe Touchers  30 reps

As before, you can repeat the core exercises 2-3 times!

I'm happy to share my workouts with you.  Of course here in another two weeks I'll probably change them again, but I will post that when and if I do.

If you give any of these a try, let me know if you liked them!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Nichole! Sounds like a tough workout but I'll give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You know I love weight lifting talk! Thanks so much for this. I'm always looking for new routines. About how long do these take you to do? For this training cycle I'm trying something new--shorter, frequent sessions instead of one or two longer ones. If I'm doing shorter sessions, would you suggest doing only 2 sets instead of 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upper body and core workouts take me around 30-40 minutes to do, and the leg/back one is nearly an hour. And yes, for shorter sessions drop the sets to 2. That's what I plan on doing in the future!

      Delete
  3. That is a killer workout. I am trying to get to the gym more this training cycle, because i know it will help. I may have to steal some of these workouts when I go. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I hope you have fun with it!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing! This will be great to add into my routine.

    ReplyDelete