Monday, July 27, 2015

Marine Corps Marathon Training - Week 3

It's time for another weekly recap!  It was a good week here.  I'm still being cautious (which is so hard) but I am feeling more confident and stronger all the time.  My mindset is if I'm going a little bit longer/stronger as we progress than I'm doing just fine.  I'm trying not to obsess so much over speed (again, HARD), but just let it come naturally without being forced. Speaking of which, I've been on my "rebuild" for over 7 weeks now, and between that and following what my training plan says this coming week will be a little bit of a cutback.  I'll be deloading some weights and decreasing a couple of runs (although I do get to add another 800 interval this week - fun!).

But before I get to future planning, here's how the last week went:

Monday:  4 mile recovery run at the gym.  I was just not feeling this run.  It wasn't that my body felt bad or anything I just wasn't mentally prepared to trudge on the treadmill, go slow, and deal with gym people.  But I got the miles in.  Starting a week from today I'll be doing this run outside... thank goodness.  However, my lift session (Shoulders/Arms/Core) after my run was awesome! When I got off the treadmill I noticed everyone left and I was alone in the gym!  Woohoo!  I hit new highs on both triceps extensions and on reverse grip barbell rows!  Yes!

All to myself!  Oh, and I think it is funny how people need signs all over stating obvious things like "Don't Drop the Dumbbells on the Floor".  You'd think the guys that frequent this place were little kids.


Tuesday: Another Tempo Tuesday.  2 mile warmup, 2 miles at tempo pace, 2 mile cooldown.  This one didn't feel 100% easy peasy but I'm blaming that on the fact it was in the 70s and eat your face humid again.  At 6 AM. ><  I still hit my target pace (a bit faster than, actually) so I win.

Red faced and hot.  Summer, I love you....

Wednesday:  Legs & Back.  Good workout as usual!

Thursday:  3x800m repeats.  2 mile warmup, equal recoveries for time, and cooldown.  All in all 6 miles.  My repeats went great (much easier than my tempo run).  Thank goodness for some cooler temps.  Although, I will say that I gotta slap myself in the wrist for going a little fast for a bit.  I just could NOT slow down even when I felt like I was.  It took a lot to bring that average pace down it seemed, and I still ended up around 10 secs/mile too quick.  I know that sounds like a minor offense, but add 10 secs per mile to the 26.2 (and we all know it's more than that for us crappy tangent runners) miles in a marathon and you're going to wear yourself out and bonk.  I've got to keep my focus on training my self control.  I have time to correct this and I will do my best!

Friday:  I put in 15 minutes on the treadmill for a little over a mile and a half before hitting my chest/shoulders/core workout.  That workout went ok but for some reason the gym was wicked crazy again and I had to use the next step lighter dumbbells for my presses because someone had them "saved" for their circuit training thing.  Groan.  After my ab session at the end I rode 15 minutes on the bike.  I have to say that I've appreciated riding the bike all these weeks but I'm happy to be moving away from it.  I find it incredibly boring and it never feels good to me like running (or even just walking) does.  I never get that high or good fuzzy feel thing happening.  It also tends to make my knees hurt... and I think that's because I set it up wrong or something, I don't know.  Of course, if I ever need to, I'll jump back on the bike instead of run in a heartbeat.  It is what it is.

Saturday: Long run.  I have finally "caught up" to my training plan so instead of increasing my miles again I figured I'd take the opportunity to run another 10 miler as the plan required, only this time try to do it without walk breaks.  I've only been doing run/walk for my long run for the past couple of weeks.  I really wanted to go to North park because I'm getting a little tired of the three places I've been running lately (and come on, North Park is perfect for a 10 - 2 easy loops!), but Nick talked me out of it.  He reasoned with me that I should give myself one more week of mostly flat terrain, especially since I was attempting to straight run long for the first time in months.  As much as I didn't want to, I agreed with him and just ran the North Shore Trail out and back.  Again.  I'm glad I did.  My run went well.. really well, in fact and I ran straight through - no walking.  And I actually ran a bit faster than last week's 10 with walk breaks.  But I did feel a difference - not bad, just different - so I'm glad I "took it easy" for this run.  I might try to do this coming week's long run at NP, but we'll see.  If not this week, definitely the week following!  I've gotta get my legs ready to Take The Iwo!

Sunday: Rest! (meaning go to the art and natural history museums with my boys and have fun!)

This week I ran 27.72 miles, rode the bike and hit new lifting PRs.  I call that success!

As of this writing there's less than 90 days to go until the 40th MCM!



7 comments:

  1. Great job Nichole! I know how hard it must be for you to pull back, but I'm glad you're taking your health seriously and being cautious. Great job!

    When I went to the gym at Penn State, there would be guys throwing weights all the time. I would be on the top level (the cardio area that overlooks all the free weights and machines) and even with headphones in I could hear weights being dropped and slammed. What the heck is that for?! It always made me so angry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying! Oh, there's a guy at a gym I go to that counts every rep really loud before just dropping whatever he has in his hands be it dumbbells or a barbell or just plates on the floor. It's almost frightening.. "ONE! TWO! THREE! FOUR! FIVE!" BANG! I've watched older ladies almost fall off the stepper when he does that.

      Delete
  2. Yay for new weight lifting PRs, feeling strong and confident, and getting in all those miles! A fantastic week for sure! Lol on the signs at the gym. Oneif my favorite was about not getting "unnecessarily naked" in the locker room. I feel the same way about the bike. I'm glad it's an option if I need it, but just not my thing. Here's to another great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sign is hilarious. People can be so gross at gyms, too... Some places I'd even be hesitant to use the bathroom in. True story! Glad I'm not alone on the bike feeling... I try to get into it, it's just not there for me.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on a great week! I'm sure it's killer to hold back and be responsible (I know it would be for me!) but you are doing a GREAT job!!

    Combine that with lifting PRs and you are on FIRE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. I'm trying to gradually build up my fire here instead of just building a big ol' bonfire from the get go only to fizzle out quickly. ;)

      Delete
  4. Smart move to pull back on the long run, you have plenty of time and your training is going good, don't risk anything. I always laugh at the signs at the gym that state the obvious, but you have to think they aren't there unless some idiot did that

    ReplyDelete