Sunday, August 9, 2015

Marine Corps Marathon Training - Week 5

Well, it was back to the grind this week.  Back to longer runs, harder runs and focus.  No lie - I am loving this.  Something I'm really appreciating about my training plan is that while I have taken the overall mileage down a knock, I've increased my intensity with doing both a true tempo (miles at 10-15k pace) as well as 800s every week.  Knock on wood, I'm recovering really well - especially since I have a rest day from running in between the two hardest workouts.  This is just what I've needed to keep my interest and to pep my little legs back up.

Monday: 6 mile recovery run.  It was a little windy outdoors but that just felt great.  This whole run was awesome.  Couldn't have asked for a better start to the week.  Since I had a longer run than usual for a Monday, I opted NOT to do my full gym routine and instead just did a core workout.  Perfect. :)

Tuesday:  Tempo. 2 mile warmup, 3 miles at tempo, 2 mile cool down.  Another fantastic run.  I get a pat on the back for this one because I really controlled myself with the pacing this week.  My laps weren't wildly different and I didn't go too hard too fast.  Yes!  I was able to celebrate with birthday cake and ice cream and Texas Roadhouse because it was Vincent's birthday.  TR was his pick.  It's all about those freaking rolls... lol

He had to have those waitresses sing Happy Birthday to him! lol


Wednesday:  Legs, Back and Core.  I tried out some new stuff this week and I really liked this!  I love it when a workout is a keeper from the start!

Thursday:  4x800s.  2 mile warmup, equal time recoveries, and cooldown.  Another winner of a run!  Again, I was able to pace myself really well on these!!  Only one was a bit too fast, but not crazy so.

Friday:  25 minutes easy on the treadmill for 2.67 miles.  Afterward, I did a new upper body and core routine.  I liked it, though it wasn't perfect, so in the future I will mess with it a bit.  In all reality I think the main problem was I went really light on the weights because I didn't want DOMS for my long run so I didn't feel like I got much out of it (although I know that I did.. I'm just used to really killing weight workouts - I want those last reps to be a struggle of grunting and sweat).  In weeks where my Monday run is shorter, I will do this workout then and do core on  Friday.  Oh, and to make sure my OCD brain got an even 30 minutes of cardio in, I hopped on the Crossramp for 5 minutes... LOL.

Saturday: Long run - 12 miles!  Woohoo! Now, I finally feel like I'm back to myself.  Other than cutback weeks, this is the last run under half marathon distance for my entire training plan.  I felt great.  As is usual for me, I had a little bit of a fade around mile 8/9, and then pepped right back up to finish strong and fast.  Speaking of the speed/pace issue, in my previous post I mentioned about pacing my long runs via specific pace (30-60 secs slower than goal marathon pace) or the long run heart rate range I've been using.  This week I just went with the heart rate as usual.  I felt really good - tired at the end, but I was fine.  I felt great the rest of the day and today I woke up and feel like I never ran a step.  Maybe I'm just psyching myself out.  I guess I'll just keep playing it by ear..

Sunday: Rest.  We went to do a last walkthrough of our new place and get some paperwork flowing.  I am freaking ecstatic.

This week I ran 34.89 miles!  Like I said... NOW I feel like I'm back to the norm.  I'm still trying to be careful and smart, because 11 weeks is still a long way to go.

Starting now, I'm adding more core focused exercise to my plan.  I know how beneficial a strong core is for running and since my training plan is progressing well, I'm adapting my strength workouts accordingly.


8 comments:

  1. So good to see that you are back to your normal running self. You had an awesome week and are reallly stepping your game up. I can't wait to see how you do in the marathon. I am a huge fan on Texas Roadhouse, and now I want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Texas Roadhouse too. I was saying "thank god" inside when he picked it. We always let the kids pick their dinner on their birthday and I was fearing chuck E Cheese yet again... lol

      Delete
  2. Wow, great job Nichole! It seems like you haven't lost any fitness at all which is great. You're killing these runs! I hope your training continues to go this well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! You are definitely back! Nice pacing, great attitude, awesome strong finish on your long run. That you're balancing rest and recovery with the intensity so well shows in how great you're feeling. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying! Fingers crossed for more weeks like this!

      Delete
  4. Without a doubt, you are back!!
    This was a great week for you and being able to balance adequate rest with the intense training is outstanding. I can hear and feel your excitement and I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete